Friday, December 21, 2007

 

Villa de Leyva


I'm back from my fabulous trip through Boyaca, north of Bogota.  Mauricio, Camilo, Diego and I spent two nights in the extremely charming town of Villa de Leyva.  It is as it was hundreds of years ago, with cobblestone streets, Spanish-style haciendas with inner courtyards and a wide central plaza.  And of course splendid Christmas lights, thousands of angels lining the streets.  On Thursday we did the very difficult hike to Laguna Iguaque, which started with several hours of walking through a cloud forest.  I got to see (and photograph) lots of orchids, including my beloved Mansdevallia, the first time I've seen on in the wild.  We also got to see several highly endangered birds.   The road to the paramo went straight up, which about did me in, but luckily I was going so slowly I didn't miss the Puya trianae in bloom!  Cute as a button...  We ate lunch by the Laguna, site of many an Indian sacrifice.  Apparently the local indigenous cultures were very afraid of the lakes and made many sacrifices of blood and gold to appease them.  El Dorado is supposedly a lake full of gold (including a person coated in gold) and the search for it by the Spaniards went right through here, and on the way they founded Bogota.  I find the lakes enchanting, a pleasant reward for so much sweat, plus they are the most fertile grounds for Puya.  
Today we drove back to Bogota and I found Puya bicolor, a desert-loving Puya in full bloom.  Quite a treat to finally find a plant at the height of its bloom time!  We got back early and spent the afternoon at the spa with Diana, where I got kind of a drastic haircut (but I think I like it) and my nails done....again!   I went to a yoga class with Diana and Bianca and felt pain and pleasure as my very sore muscles got all stretched out.
I am very sad to report the sudden passing of my uncle Dave a few days ago.  He loved adventure and learning about new cultures and I think of him as I see all the beautiful places here.  I will miss him.
Off to one more national park tomorrow- Chingaza- then for a night of serious dancing.  This is the land of Shakira, after all...

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?