Saturday, April 19, 2008

 

South America Awards y adios

Its way too early and I am on way too little sleep, as our neighbors in Lima hosted a raucous party until three in the morning last night. I’ve got a long day ahead of me as I travel to Chicago, but I’ve got some time to kill at the airport so I will finish off my South America blog. Sniff, sniff…I can’t believe its over. But I am more than ready to come home

Drumroll, please! Announcing my South America awards. I would hate to add tension to already tense situations between Andean nations, so please note that most of these could have gone any number of ways! :)

South America Awards!
Food: (tie) Colombia & Peru, Argentina (Note how the two winners are the places I stayed in actual homes!…but actually the winner is my honeymoon in BA)
Fruit: Ecuador, Chile, Colombia
Capital: La Paz, Buenos Aires, Bogota
Medium Sized City: Cusco (Pe), Cuenca (Ec), Valparaiso (Ch)
Small Town: El Angel (Ec), Villa de Leyva (Co), Samaipata (Bo)
Local Festivity: Christmastime in Colombia, dia de los Muertos in Ecuador, Semana Santa Peru
Historical Center: Quito, Cusco, Bogota
Booze: Argentina, Peru, Colombia
Seafood: Peru, Argentina
Meat: Argentina, Peru
Puya Collecting: Ecuador, Chile, Colombia
Best Herbarium: USM, Lima
National Parks: Iguaque (Co), Podocarpus (Ec), Huascaran (Pe)
Natural Preservation: Colombia, Bolivia, Argentina
Mountains: Peru, Colombia, Chile
Telephone and Internet: Peru, Ecuador, Bolivia
Local music: Brazil(the only thing I will mention about my trip in 2002), Argentina, Peru
Best long-distance bus services: Peru
Worst taxis: Peru
Worst traffic: Bogota
Best public transportation: Quito
Best airport: Lima
Most Catholic: Peru
Best shopping: Peru, Colombia, Argentina
Country I would return to soonest; Colombia, BA for the food
Country I think you should visit: Peru

And so we bid goodbye to Raquel, my South American self. My how she has grown! I remember being absolutely terrified and wanting to go home immediately when I first set foot in Bolivia, less than three years ago. I barely could speak Spanish, I barely knew anything about Puya, I could barely get around. I thought there was no way I could possibly complete my project and collect in all these countries. But thanks to more than a little luck and hard work, now it is my second nature to be here and I feel like I can handle myself traveling and working here with little stress or confusion. I am very proud of myself for coming this far. It is so rewarding to have stretched myself to the limits and see myself thrive. I do hope everyone in their life gets a chance to do the same. Muchisimas gracias to Matt for all his love and support…I miss you and I owe you. And to my family whose attention to and enthusiasm for my work helps enormously.

As for the future, I don’t really know if I will do more plant collecting in South America. I truly love it, but the buracracy involved in collecting and exporting plants frustrates me to no end. Also, all this travel has been a bit taxing at times. Regardless, I know how fortunate I am to have gotten to do all of this and I will always look back fondly on this time in my life. Back to the US (with a trip to Costa Rica to look forward to…just for fun!) and back to the real world. Thanks for reading

Comments:
All finished with SA? Sounds like you had a great time! After I got back from Quito I kept wanting to put unflavored popcorn into all my soups, but that microwave stuff has too much butter and the result was just wierd. Get any new species named after you?
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?