Wednesday, April 02, 2008

 

Trujillo

Hola,

Despite Wesley Snipe dubbed into Spanish´s best attempts, I was fully able to sleep through the night on our most comfortable bus last night. We have absolutly nothing like it in the US and I was fully impressed and fully reclined. We pulled into Trujillo, way north of Lima but still on the coast, at dawn and found a lovely hotel that has the best shower I´ve had in weeks and a nice little cafe. Bryan took off right away for random adventures further north...perhaps we´ll find him again tomorrow or maybe not. He´s kind of a lone wolf, but great when he is around. Mercedes and I spent a rather uncomfortable, if productive, day in the herbarium identifying plants. They don´t have an airconditioner in the Trujillo herbarium, so every single specimen was covered in mothballs and the smell in that cramped space about killed me. I was quite successful in essentially rearranging all the specimens and I put my little labels with the proper name and my name on more than half the specimens. It felt great and hopefully will not have to be redone by someone smarter in the future! It occurs to me that probably there is no one else on earth more suited to this task than me (aside from a guy in Florida who is way too busy). We are all set to go on a short morning collecting jaunt up the quebrada from here and then should be set to head north and east to Cajamarca ...six hour busride this time, by day... for the real action.
I got to eat the famous ceviche today....raw seafood marinated in lime juice...and so far, so good. I really, really liked it, despite the texture. The lime juice here is ubiquitous and amazing. This seems like a very cool town and part of Peru and I hear should be recommended to anyone interested in beaches or surfing (or giant adobe ruins...Chan chan, just a bit away from here) One night of walking around and taking pictures of pastel colored churches should about do it fo our tourism, though. Puya calls...and I answer.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?